June 4, 2010

Truancy Court.... for a 2nd grader

I received a letter in the mail a month or so ago from the principal at our elementary school notifying me that I need to attend a pre-truancy court meeting for Tenley's excessive absences. Hmmmmm, As I read on, she had missed 23 days of school.  I admit that is ALOT.  But, it wasn't like she was just home in her jammies laying on the couch eating bonbons with me while we watch Soap Operas.  She has been sick a lot. She had some serious orthodontic issues this year.  She had several eye doctor appointments up at Primary Children's.  We did go up to the cabin for Norm's parents 50th wedding anniversary reunion. I did get a note from the doctor's each time we went but that was not enough.  I began by speaking with the attendance secretary at the school to see what I needed to do.  Do I need to go back to the doctor's we visited and get notes for every date in case I missed one?  She assured me she would check with the principal and get back to me.  I didn't hear back and the pre-truance court date was fast approaching.  I didn't want to get thrown in jail or anything so I became persistant.  I called many times, hopefully not too obnoxious, but I wanted to get this taken care of.  Finally, I actually speak with the principal.  He has spoken with Tenley's teacher and was assured that Tenley had been making up all her work, that she was above grade level, and that her excessive absences did not affect her school work.  He then proceeded to tell me that since I was a concerned and aware parent that he would dismiss the truancy court meeting for me.  PHEW... I really did not want to go to that.  For next year, everytime, we go to the doctor, get a NOTE...  The day's she's home sick and we don't go to the doctor a Mom's note is NOT good enough, just thought you should know that!

No comments: