July 22, 2011

Carl Bloch

Back in April we visited the BYU Museum of Art.  They had the Carl Bloch art exhibit and we had heard from multiple people how amazing it was.  We had to make reservations for free tickets because it was so popular.  Norm ended up being stuck at work and wasn't able to come with us. So, the three kids and I made the trek down to Provo.  There was a cool movie they showed for a few minutes before which explained a lot about Carl Bloch's life, family, and artistic experience.  It was this cool presentation that was shown on three walls in this room.  The images moved around the walls in a panoramic style.  Then we entered the actual exhibit. There were many huge altar paintings, mostly of Christ.  It was very interesting to read the detailed explanation of the paintings.  They would tell you to notice someones eyes, the darkness around a character and the light around Christ.  It made it much more meaningful than just looking at the artwork as a whole.  There were other paintings of his wife, his parents, an elderly couple, a woman feeding birds and some scenery paintings.  I loved seeing and feeling this art.  I'd love to visit the castle he was commissioned to paint the life of the Savior in.  He spent 14 years I think painting this art work to depict Jesus Christ. I can't imagine having those huge pieces of art in your home.  The kids had never been to an art exhibit before and it was an eye opening experience.  I don't know how much they appreciated it but I hope they remember it.  As we try to make it to more art exhibits I hope they can gain an appreciation for the talent and the art itself.

No comments: