August 4, 2011

Failed Mom Moment

Everyone has those moments that you wish you could go back and change.  You said something that you wish you hadn't, you used a tone of voice you'd like to forget, you raise your voice to a level that should not be used.  We've all done it and kids survive and they still love you.  Today, I had a moment.  I choose to write about it so hopefully I remember it always.  I hope I always remember so I can learn from it. 

Maddy and Tenley were outside playing with sidewalk chalk on the back patio.  They really have kind of outgrown this activity but they received some new chalk from Grandma and it was a novelty all over again.  Due to their advanced age, just coloring was not quite enough.  I should have suspected something when I saw them come in and fill a pitcher up with water but I just assumed they were thirsty.  The next thing I see, as I am sitting at the kitchen table planning my menu and grocery shopping, is Tenley peeking through the door with purple dots on her face.  I simply asked what was on her face and she said chalk. Hmmmm... no big deal.  She shows me her hands, solid chalk paste, her feet and legs, solid chalk paste,  she has perfect yellow handprints on her shorts.  At this point, I walk over to the door and look outside.  The patio is covered in a slurry of chalk and water.  Their feet, hands, and clothes are covered.  Here is where it went downhill.  Now, I didn't think it was too bad but as you keep reading and hear the comment Maddy made later, I now know, in their eyes I was "mad".  I just said, "You guys have to clean all this up.  You will probably have to mop the floor since you will be dragging chalk in the house.  This is a huge mess and I hope you are prepared to clean it up."  I didn't scream or yell, maybe I used a tone of voice that was slightly annoyed. Later after they hosed off the patio, tried to hose themselves off, mopped the kitchen floor to remove all chalk residue Tenley told me what Maddy said.

"I thought that would have gone differently, like in the movies, when the Mom comes out and takes pictures and laughs, and doesn't get mad."

Chalk one up to a learned Mom lesson today, literallly...

Next time, take a picture and smile... and then tell them to clean it up.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Thanks for the reminder. I just hate it when stuff like that happens! Good thing our kids are so forgiving.