January 22, 2010

Oh, my achin' back...

So, back in October, the weekend of the 16-18, we were in Idaho to go through some of our stuff at our house that is still sitting there... I bent down to move a very light box and snap, there went my back. It was horrible. I could hardly stand or sit. This was sunday morning and we left that afternoon to drive back down to Utah. Thankfully, at this time I wasn't in too bad of shape. Sitting in the car was not unbearable. The next week I could hardly get out of bed. Norm had to help me get dressed! I was pretty much an invalid. I couldn't drive. My Mom had to help out with driving the kids to school. Everyone pitched in to help out. Laundry and picking up was off my list. I could kind of walk around and do things at "counter" level, Any kind of bending, including sitting was excruciating. Norm knows a guy and his wife that are "expert" masseuses, don't know if that's the right spelling... you know, people who massage. So, I thought I'd go give it a try. Now, let me explain that by this point, I could sit in a regular chair, I could drive. I didn't look graceful by any means, in fact I looked like a 90 year old lady trying to get in and out of my car. But I had made progress. So, I show up for this massage and an hour later, I think I might die! The lady was up on the table straddling my back and pushing with her elbow with all her might! I am pretty sure I would have rather been in labor. People say that a therapeutic massage is not relaxing and it doesn't feel good so I just suffer quietly. When she was done, I thought, hmmmmm here I am, naked and I don't know if I can get off this table let alone get myself dressed. I power through and walk down the hall to Norm's office and am about in tears. I cannot drive myself home, I cannot sit in the passenger seat without cringing with every bump and turn. I have taken a serious step backwards in my healing progress. I get home and retire to bed, since flat on my back with pillows under my knees was the only comfortable spot. Okay, so here is the best part... the next morning my back hurts like it did before but there is also some new pain... I am bruised like I have been beaten up and left for dead! There is about a square foot area of purple bruising on my back. So much for getting massaged! Well, that is an experience that as much as I would like to forget about it, will never leave me. It took me another week to recover again. I am now extra careful with my bending and lifting because that is a place I do not want to revisit...

No comments: