Let me make a disclaimer before I begin this post... anyone who has a tattoo, do not take offense.
I was in the car with Maddy yesterday on our way home from the grocery store. It was just the two of us which was very nice. We had a great time, shopping and chatting. She especially loved getting to bag the groceries herself. On the way home, she asks me how long people are engaged for. I stop and think for a second because Norm and I were only engaged for four months and had only met two months before that. So, I told her that most people date for a year or so and are engaged for 6-9 months, in Mormon world, anyways. So, of course she asks, "How long were you engaged to Dad?". Hmmmm, how to answer, well, I told her we met in March were engaged in May and Married in September. I told her that Dad and I have been very lucky and blessed that it worked out for us. Usually this isn't enough time to really get to know someone. She was quiet for a minute thinking about this, or so I thought. Then she asks, "Can you marry someone who has tattoos? I mean, if they are a nice person?" So, again, I pause and think about how to answer this one. So, I start by saying that just because someone has or doesn't have tattoos doesn't make them nice or not nice. I said that typically someone who is covered in tattoos won't be able to take you to the temple because they don't have them same beliefs and values that you have. But, I proceeded to tell her that some people either find the church later in life, after they have gotten tattoos, or they made some wrong choices when they were younger and they have changed and repented. Again, not that tattoos make someone a bad person. But, if you are really living the gospel, if you really believe it, you know your body is a temple, a gift from God and that we believe that tattooing or piercings defile the body. It doesn't show respect for the wonderful creation that we are. So, I told her she should never make a judgment on someone because they have tattoos, but that she definitely should not get one. I hope this answered her question. I wonder where their little minds come up with this stuff. Who thinks about that when you are 11? Maybe I have just aged so far beyond 11 that I don't even remember what my brain was thinking then. That makes more sense.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment