Last week after we went to the orthodontist for a monthly visit, he said he wanted us to do 12 more turns on Tenley's expander. I thought that's no big deal, six more days. We'd had a break for a month or two so six days should be slick. Well, Tenley reverted back to day 1 with the expander. We had to fight with her for two days to even try it. We finally got three turns in over two days. As I was beginning to do the fourth turn one night before bed, we had a problem. Tenley laid right down, was cooperating, mouth open wide, head tilted back, I turned it just fine... as I went to pull the key out the whole expander and the brackets on her back teeth came off! Tenley freaked out and started crying. "Please call dr. Bills, tell him it's an emegency!" I assured her this was not an emergency, that he was home with his family, and that I could just clip two wires and it would come out. I fought, and I mean fought, with her for over an hour. She would not hold still long enought to let me clip the wires to be able to pull the expander out. I finally sent her to bed and told her I hoped she didn't swallow it. It was not a pretty mother-daughter hour. Luckily, Norm walked in the door, at 9:45. It took both of us holding her down, arms, legs, head, to clip the wires. I was exhausted and so was she. Norm asked me why I got all worked up and fought with her. I said, I didn't know what else to do. I don't have the strength to man handle them anymore so when they are so stubborn and defiant, all I know how to do is yell and threaten. Looking back, I realize that none of that worked and probably will never work. I feel horrible and hope Tenley doesn't remember that night. Maybe I should delete this post. Hopefully, as I look back and read my thoughts I will remember that getting upset and worked up doesn't solve anything. Stay calm and positive is my new resolve!
So, on to the part 3 of the expander. The next day we call the orthodontist office and they squeeze us in. They decided to make it less traumatic for Tenley that they will do it over two days. When I called in to make the appointment I inquired to see if they do any kind of sedation, a valium or something, since I knew Tenley would be a basket case. Dr. Bill's doesn't have a license to prescribe so we just have to tough it out. Oh, boy, I am not looking forward to this. They first have to fit new bands on her back teeth and she just cries and sobs and they push those up into her gums. Then they have to take an impression. Her mouth is so tiny their trays barely fit and it's hard for her to keep it open wide enought to not bump the wet goo while they get it positioned. So, needless to say they had to do it twice. Tenley was a trooper though. The trays were big and they hurt her mouth, she was gagging, but I kept her focused on my face and we talked about the fun things to do over the summer. I had also bribed her with going out to lunch and a $15 toy shopping spree at Wal-Mart. They then take the bands off and tell her that when she comes back tomorrow they will put the new appliance in that Dr. Bill's is going to build. He decided that he didn't need to put the same kind back in, so no key turning for us. We were excited about that, but she still has to have the expander in for 6-7 monthts. We return the next day (again, two more absences for Tenley, I did check her out after sending her for two hours in the morning) and there is bad news. The impression got messed up and we have to start OVER!!! Everything the day before was wasted. So, the whole idea of spreading it over two days to inflict less trauma has not only been wasted but she is now doubly traumatized by reliving the whole experience of the first day and enduring the 2nd day installation all at once! She is amazingly brave. I think most kids would clamp their mouth shut and say I am not participating in this but she opens up. We have to coax her to open wider, but she does it. She cries, she sobs and when your mouth is wide open and you are crying you often snort. I didn't know this, but it happens. So, bands, on, impression, made, play DS, watch cartoons for 45 minutes, while the Dr. makes the appliance. He sits down they have the glue all over the bands and this is when she clamps her mouth shut. He tells her, "Tenley, the glue is on and is setting up you have to open your mouth" After about 5 seconds she opens up and they cram those bands on. She is once again crying. Then she has to bite down on cotton rolls for 4 minutes while it sets. They take the cotton rolls out and are cleaning the excess cotton out and its bloody. I thought that she as maybe being a little dramatic, I knew it was probably uncomfortable and scary for a little tiny girl, but it was bleeding! I felt so bad for the sweet little thing. So she now has a new appliance that looks more like a bent and twisted paper clip. It is not as big and bulky but it comes up closer to her front teeth. She is learning to eat with it again and talk again with a lisp. It's fun to ask her to say Sally Sells Seashells by the Sea Shore. What a trooper she is and I am so proud of her. Hopefully this is the end of our installation experience and we can last for six months with this one. We have a new resolve to be much more careful with what she eats. We were careful befoe but we will be EXTRA careful because we don't want to experience that again. We always try to look at the big picture and realize that these hard moments will be way easier and better than jaw surgery later. Dr. Bills gave Tenley and I two free movie tickets and free ice cream cone certificates. He, and his staff, have been very concerned and patient with her. We are truly grateful that we found him as an orthodontist. He even called me the next day to check on her. He always feels so bad when she cries and he always asks her if she is still his friend. She always says yes... what a good girl!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Wow, you have been busy. Poor Tenley with her her expander. Brooklyn still talks about her. Hope you are doing well.
Poor Tenlita!!! I hope this is her last orthodontic trauma...
Post a Comment