July 22, 2011

Tenley's field trip.. I'm not a "top five" Mom

A week or so before Tenley's field trip the end of May I signed the permission slip and checked the box that I wanted to be a parent volunteer to help at the field trip. I put it on my calendar and planned on attending.  The night before the field trip Tenley tells me that her teacher was going to choose the top 5 parents to go since she had so many sign up but she never did it.  So, I didn't know if I was able to go or not.  I didn't know what to think until 9 PM when my phone rang.  It was Tenley's teacher explaining that there had been too many parents sign up and I wasn't in the "top five". So, I was welcome to drive myself and pay for myself to get in.  Tenley was pretty disappointed so I said I would meet her there.  Well,  let me tell you, I have discovered a new way to do the field trip scene.  I drove myself, met them there, was not in charge of any kids, I just got to wander with Tenley and watch and enjoy her.  No stress of turning around and counting kids every five minutes, no bus ride with noisy kids and wind blown hair... hmmm I might like this new approach.  They were able to go to the Children's Museum at Discovery Gateway and the Planetarium and lunch at Liberty Park. It was quite a day.  We had never been to the museum... it's too dang expensive.  It would cost almost $50 to take my family... for something that you would spend a few hours in, that is just way too much, in my opinion.  I didn't even have to pay for myself, since once I met them there I just became part of the field trip!  It really is a neat museum... they divided the kids into two group and they got to wear pinnies.... remember those from school p.e. days?  Awesome!  They had a news room studio, giant magnetic things, grocery store, cranes to lift foam blocks, a water station and tons of other exhibits.  We then walked over to the planetarium where they got to watch a movie in the laser dome theater. I admit that I napped.  I couldn't stay awake. Then we drove to Liberty park for lunch.  It was cloudy, breezy and chilly.  Not the usual weather for the end of the year school field trip.  The kids had a blast playing on the huge playground.  Tenley decided that she would rather ride home with me than ride the bus with her friends... so I guess I am actually the "top Mom" in her eyes!







No comments: