July 22, 2011

Memorial Day

My Mom and Dad, ever since I can remember take flowers to the cemeteries where their ancestors are buried.  I used to go along when we were kids and then through some of my teenage years I think I didn't love going so much.  Once I matured :)  I began going again.  Norm went with us once and decided that he'd rather spend his day doing something else.  I totally understand, it's not his family, he doesn't have much extended family so he doesn't have the connection that I have. It has been something my kids love doing and they always come along.  The past few years we have been working on making a book about who we are visiting.  We try to talk to the kids about who these people were and how they are related and something we remember about them.  We have been gathering pictures and making note of where they are buried so that we would be able to find them without my parents.  We will finish putting it together this year and it will be neat to take it with us every year and look at pictures and reminisce about the memories we have of all these great people.  I find a kinship because I am here because of these people.  Without them, I wouldn't be here in the family that I have.  I love family history and love reading people's stories and hearing how they lived their lives.  Someday in my life I want to become more involved in family history.  I have it on my "empty nest" plan.. some day... in about 10 years.  Maybe I won't wait that long.

No comments: