Yummy homemade grape juice that looked creepy with the grapes in the bottom of the jar. These really cool metal cups and pitcher.
Playing matchbox cars all over the fireplace and a wooden butter churn.
Playing dress up with fabulous dresses and hats and lots of jewelry.
Hansel, the daucshund they always had.
Guarding someone’s chips at a tripoley game.
Grandma teaching me how to play cribbage.
Playing Rummikub.
Going sledding at the elementary school by their house.
Riding skateboards down the hill they lived on.
Swimming in their pool in Arizona.
Bubblegum ice cream from Dan’s.
Grandma teaching me how to embroider. My first piece was Bert and Ernie.
Going to Star Valley, riding in the golf cart, swimming, playing cards in their trailer.
A trip to Canada with Grandma and Grandpa and Great Grandma and Grandpa.
Grandma doing my hair in ringlets.
Grandma playing her violin at Christmas Eve and Hansel barking along.
Grandma and Grandpa coming to Fresno for Maddy’s baby blessing.
Elizabeth Sutton SlackAs I was typing up this list I started to think about my Grandma Slack. This is my Mom's mom and she died in 1994 before Norm and I got married. I always think about how she would have loved to have been a Great Grandma and that I would have loved for my kids to know her. I talk about her to my kids but I don't do it enough. I will try to do it more. Here are some fantastic memories I have of her:
Going to Disneyland and Grandma coming with us.
Riding the bus to her house from Salt Lake.
Making Grilled tuna sandwiches and eating them on the t.v. trays.
Looking at the pictures that were in the footstool and the silver chafing dish.
Measuring ourselves on the wall in her dining room.
Throwing paper airplanes off the deck above her garage.
Using her hand-beater to make “Pies” on her linoleum floor. The yellow squares were lemon, the green were lime.
Count Chocula.
Stroganoff or Stookanoodles, always taking leftovers home.
Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Going to Riverside for brunch and birthday lunches.
Going to the circus.
Going to Mirror Lake.
Visiting Grandma at the bank and eating lunch at the Underground.
Looking at her bell collection.
The brown metal cabinet in her kitchen.
Pecan Sandies or Lorna Doone’s in the microwave.
Playing cards, learning how to play rummy and using her auto shuffler.
Playing Uncle Wiggly and using the sweet cable box to choose your channels.
Swimming at Riverside.
Banana Cream Pie.
Rubb-ed sage.
To any of the grandchildren of these amazing women please leave a comment of your favorite memories and I will add them to my blog...Let us always remember and honor the wonderful Grandmas we have or have had in our lives!





2 comments:
What a GREAT list...so important. All of Doug's grandmas and all of my grandmas have passed away and I miss them so much. I sure wish I had written down more of their stories when I had the chance...and even the memories I had of them while they were living. Memories get blurred way too quickly...:>
I am so glad to have the opportunity to think about our Grandmas. So here are some of mine...
Some of my memories of
Grandma Gray:
the really big stuffed animal - I can't remember what animal it was. Does anyone else remember it?
the blue dress
watching sing a long videos on their big couch
apples and cheese for snacks
sugar free candies
playing on the golf course by their house
sleepovers at their house
reunions in Manti
the condo in Saint George where they let us stay with our friends
getting spider rings when we went trick-or-treating
the old school desk in the basement (which is now at Mylee's)
Grandma Slack
helicopters in the back yard
finding a bell to bring home on every vacation we went on
the wooden calendar in her kitchen
brunh at Riverside
the red buick
canned tomatoes in the cupboards in the basement
decorating the Christmas tree every year
the playground by her house
the heating pad on the couch
Silent Night on the piano
the tape recorder in the sewing room
dress up jewelery
I am sure there are many more, but that's all that comes to mind right now. I am so graetful for my Grandmas and the memories I have of them. I feel the same as Mylee and I loved remembering all of these things. Everyone should take some time to think about our wonderful grandmothers.
Post a Comment