January 26, 2010

50 golden, glorious years... congratulations Bob and Hans

Tenley & Omie by the fire... it was a popular spotCole, Danielle, Tenley and Maddy checking out Hannah's artwork.

Omie going for a high score...

Cole, Maddy, Danielle, Kaitlyn just one moment of many playing Raving Rabids

Sydney, her first time playing Sjoelbakken.

Lovenie and Hannah knitting their hearts out.

The kids and their gingerbread houses.

December 12, 2009 was Norm's parent's anniversary, not just any anniversary but the Golden one. I think I, tend to take this kind of accomplishment for granted. I have been blessed to not have to experience divorce in my life. My parents are happily married... this year in 2010 is will be their 38th anniversary. My Dad's parents, Frank and JoeAnn stayed married through thick and thin. My Grandma passed away from Alzheimers in November 2008. They had been married for 58 years. I feel truly blessed to have such great examples of marriage in my life. It is such a rarity now that people stick with it. When times get tough a lot of people run! I will admit, and EVERYONE, in the world that is married, should admit too.... that they have thought about it. Of course we do, marriage is not easy, but it's oh so worth it. I can't imagine my life without my husband, my sweetie, my Normie (or as named in a previous post... Bernie). I can't imagine life being easier with him gone. I am not saying that there is not a time or reason for divorce... oh I have a firm belief that there are justifiable reasons. I just don't think that when it's hard, divorce is the way out. I truly believe in working it out, I believe in sticking together, I believe in working together. I believe in marriage. I believe in eternal marriage. I hope with all my heart and soul that we can do the things that will enable us to be together forever with our family.

So, back to Norm's parents... Robert & Johanna Rellina Frederika Burchartz Warren were married December 12, 1959. Fast forward to 2009... three sons, two daughters, three daugher-in-laws, one son-in-law, many dogs (one at the moment...Togo), 8 granddaughters and one grandson. They have served two missions and faithful serve in the temple every week. They are wonderful grandparents. I truly feel that my kids are blessed to have them as grandparents, or Omie and Papa, as we say. Omie is the kind of Grandma that will stay in her robe and jammies later than usual so she can make them oatmeal and scrambled eggs for breakfast, so she can play Chinese checkers, or read to them or play Bebble-a-bonsa (I have no idea how to spell this cute little dutch rhyme song you do while bouncing your baby on your lap). She will let them make potions out in the back yard. She will let them use her scissors and her tupperware to make these concoctions. She will sit with them and give them her undivided attention, that to me is the best. Papa always has a project they can help him with. Puttering in the garage, running errands, taking Togo to the park, watching cooking shows are some of his favorites. I love to see Papa with one of the kids on his lap in the recliner. Now that the kids are growing we don't see that as much, but sitting on the couch with his arm around them is a frequent sight. He,too, is a great giver of undivided attention. I am forever grateful to them for giving me a great husband and for giving our kids such great Omie and Papa time.

We loved spending time with them and most of the extended family up at our cabin in Bear Lake. We met the week before Christmas. Sydney was flying home from China so it worked out for Jon to fly out to meet her. Robert, Lovenia, and Hannah came down from Washington, the Leathermans' drove over from Soda. We missed having Deena, Olivia and Riley there. We played lots of Wii, Nerts, Password, Scrabble, and Schoelbaaken. We ate yummy food and just hung out and spent time together. With Robert on the west coast and Jon on the east coast we don't get everyone together that often. In fact, it had been nearly 13 years since we were all together for more than 1 day! That is way too long. Hopefully it won't be another 13 years.

1 comment:

The Memmotts said...

Love the posts! You will be so glad you are writing all of these memories down!