June 4, 2010

A week of sickness...

A couple weeks ago on a lovely Tuesday morning, Tenley sidled me while I was in bed, and share this wonderful tidbit of information, "I just threw up."  My first response was "WHERE?".  I didn't ask her if she was ok, or anything like that, I just wanted to know where.  I have to admit that right after she told me she made it to the bathroom I did ask her how she felt and helped her back into bed.  So, I don't think that qualifies me as the worst-mom-ever.  After about 6-7 hours of constant trips to the bathroom, she was able to sleep.  She spent the next two days on the couch watching countless hours of SpongeBob and other things.  She sipped on water and ate Soda crackers.  That should be the new diet fad... she lost four pounds!  That's a lot on a little kid.  She didn't start eating real food at all until Friday so she missed another four days of school (That's a total fo 27 for the year, and that's another post...see truancy-court-for-2nd-grader).  Despite my incessant lysol wiping, and cloroxing the bathroom we did not escape further punishment of this virus.  Thursday morning about five I woke up with a rumble in my tummy.  I thought to myself, "You are just imagining things"  But sure enough I soon began my 6-7 hour journey of constant bathroom visits.  Norm was so good to call and cancel my planned events for the day.  He took Maddy to school.  Remember, Tenley is still home, and Cole started up with the same crud about an hour after me.  So, I felt bad that I couldn't help him in any way because I was dying in my own bed.  I guess during those fabulous hours of your life there is not much anyone can do for you.  By that afternoon, the nauseau had subsided and I was able to at least lay in bed and watch a movie and I was able to text a few people.  That afternoon, when Maddy came home from school, she got the pukes at about four.  The basement was quarantined off, we told no one to enter unless they had to.  My Mom stopped at the store for some gatorade and sprite and made a quick delivery and immediately returned to the germ free zone upstairs.  Norm came home Thursday night at about 9:30, after work, and began another round of sanitizing.  He pulled all the sheets, bathroom rugs, and towels and started a major laundry spree.  He ventured on a germ killing spree in the bathroom.  He wiped everything down and cleaned the bathroom and the bedrooms.  By 11:00 or so, we were all ready to hit the sack.  We all slept great, with NO interruptions.  On Friday, I worked on switching the laundry, which literally wiped me out each time.  We tried to get some nourishment in us but Soda Crackers and Sprite just don't cut it.  But nothing sounded good and we just didn't have appetites for almost three days after!  This was one of the worst bugs because it stayed with you for so long.  Thank goodness for an awesome husband who took care of us and still worked 12-14 hours a day!  Thanks to a good Mom/Grandma for making sure we had what we needed.  We hope we built up some good immunity for those germs and that we can fend them off for a LONG time.  And, as a closing note,  Norm must be an expert cleaner because he and my Mom and Dad managed to escape the tortures of this virus!

No comments: