We didn't have much time since we had hair appointments to get to so we rushed a little. But, all the more reason to go back sooner than later. It definitely won't be a year before we head back. The kids love going and as long as they are excited about going there we should be going!
While we were walking back to the car we were crossing the grounds of the conference center and I saw a poster about the concerts in the park. Apparently on Tuesdays and Friday nights during June, July, and August they do free concerts at the Brigham Young Historic Park. I wish we would have discovered this earlier in the summer. When I saw that the concert that night was a bagpipe band I knew I had to call my Mom and Dad. My Dad is in love with bagpipes. He always says he wants them at his funeral, which as I have been thinking lately, that he won't really enjoy them there so we should go see them as much as possible while he is still here! So, we pulled off a last minute plan and met at Winco at 6:45. Grandma and Grandpa hopped in our minivan and we headed downtown. We parked next to City Creek park which was a beautiful little park with the creek running through it, bridges over the creek and huge shade trees. We enjoyed walking through this park on our way to the Brigham Young Historic Park. It was pretty full when we got there but we found a spot, set up our chairs and laid out a blanket. The kids played Go Fish and Old Maid while we were waiting.
As the concert started and the pipe & drum band marched in it was so exciting. They played for about an hour and it was amazing to listen to. If you didn't notice I said listen and not see. They don't have a good stage just one row of risers so we couldn't see anything except the drummers from the waist up. So, what we could see, was the girl drummers that twirl and spin their fluffy drumming instruments in unison. I know that is not any of the correct terminology but I don't know how else to describe it. Their precision and synchronization was amazing. Tenley was very sad that we couldn't see the dancers. I learned something else new at the concert... that the hymn "Praise to the Man" is from a Scottish tune called "Scotland the Brave" It was very cool to hear in with the drums and pipes. As we walked out I couldn't resist trying to get a picture even though 1300 people were trying to stream out of this little park... hee hee gotta love a blogging mom!





No comments:
Post a Comment